Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Noah's Memorial Day Weekend

Bookmark and Share

Noah had a great Memorial Day weekend. He loves it when he gets to spend lots of time with his daddy and grandma. Noah is scooting around quite well on his back by pushing with his feet. Not the ideal mode of mobility, yet I still have relief in my heart that he's able to scoot about in any way. I've noticed that Noah's left side is visibly stronger than his right side now. It's very hard for him to try to put weight on his arms to prop sit with his right hand. He also of course has a preference on which side he wants to rollover with. And his rolling is still not graceful, as he puts his leg up in the air to throw himself backwards. I keep telling him there is an easier way to do it, but he still insists on rolling his way.

I think Noah could have the potential to crawl if he'd get his head off the ground. But it remains firmly planted there even when I try to coax him with a toy to look up. I still keep hoping that the older he gets the stronger he will get. I also think his theratog suit may offer him the support and feeling of security that he needs to possibly help him with that too.

I've had encounters this week with people that I haven't seen for several years. One person I hadn't seen for over seventeen years. People I once thought cared more than I suppose I actually realized they really did. I think I've learned more about people and their nature since Noah's birth. If you really want to find someone's true colors faster than letting them sprout on their own, have a special needs child and see how they react towards you. I could spend days being disappointed by people's caviler and cold attitudes, but Noah doesn't give me time to dwell on those who snub their noses at Noah's journey.

I'm more cautious with who I surround Noah with. Many pray upon families like ours as we simply mean money in their pockets. They don't really care about your child, it's just a paycheck - the medical industry who prays upon your weakness to seek out the best recovery possible charging thousands upon thousands of dollars for a "promised cure." Or even medical supply and equipment companies who know that you're stuck paying hundreds of dollars because you have no choice but to do so. It's not a friendly, loving system, it's like dancing with the wolves.

Then there are those like most of you who probably have come to read and know of Noah. Entering our lives instantly, but caring for him with such intensity that many of your hearts swell with kindness and prayer. We haven't had the privilege of knowing you all for years, yet you feel like you've always been there just waiting to give us that shoulder to cry on, that hug to lean on, those words of encouragement and love.

"People who soar are those who refuse to sit back, sigh and wish things would change. They neither complain of their lot nor passively dream of a distant ship coming in. Rather they visualize in their minds they are not quitters; they will not allow life's circumstances to push them down and hold them under."
Author Unknown.

Love,