Monday, November 29, 2010

Noah's 2nd Thanksgiving

Bookmark and Share






Noah had a really Happy Thanksgiving. He's been quite the sweet little character lately, full of smiles and giggles. I love it when he's this happy. I know that it will never make up for the things he cannot do, but it gives me a sense that I'm at least making him as happy and comfortable as I can. He didn't gag once this holiday with food, which I consider a huge improvement. We're still so far away from eating real solids like children his age, but I remain so proud of his teeny tiny progress. His daddy put up the Christmas train, and Noah thinks that is just simply wonderful. Chris stalled until Sunday putting up the outdoor Christmas lights up to him it means dollar signs handed over to Xcel Energy. If only there were a less expensive way to celebrate with lights!

I received a letter from Regis Corporation a few days ago. They control the Supercuts chain and explained to me that there is not and has never been a policy regarding children sitting on booster seats and not on the laps of a parent. To me it made that burning in my heart so much worse. We were lied to. We were made to "think" that it was a policy for everyone, when in fact it was a policy for no one - an excuse, a lie in order to turn away our little Noah from a haircut. Noah by no means is difficult. He's only two, and behaves similar to any other child his age getting a haircut. He squirms and expresses his minor complaints. It's not like he's biting, clawing and unreasonable. The world of special needs and those that are handicapped have a tendency to make a lot of people simply uncomfortable just by being around them. I wish it wasn't that way but it is.

I contacted local media stations, our local newspaper, no one has taken any interest in covering this story, although I wish someone would, as change is not possible unless we discuss it. We cannot sweep it under the rug and pretend things like this don't happen. Change isn't possible otherwise. I don't know if I file complaints with the ADA or with other agencies if I'll even be heard, or if my paperwork will somehow just become like so many others in a pile and ignored. I don't know how to actively make sure this doesn't happen again to us or to another family. Regis Corporation was apologetic in their email, and said they contacted that location to advise them there was no policy, but that doesn't fix it, that doesn't change what happened. I really don't know where to go from here to be heard. To make change possible. I just know I don't ever want to be made to feel this way ever again, nor do I ever wish anyone to feel like we've felt.

I've attached some pictures of Noah's 2nd Thanksgiving. He had a absolutely wonderful day.

Remember God's bounty in the year. String the pearls of His favor. Hide the dark parts, except so far as they are breaking out in light! Give this one day to thanks, to joy, to gratitude!