Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Noah Gets Chocolate!

Bookmark and Share
Noah's top two teeth have started to cut through the gums today. A possible reason for his potential lack of concentration at therapy today. Not quite the meltdown that we had Monday, but it was a different kind of set of tears today. Noah also had chocolate for the first time today. His well-being baby check up was yesterday and although Noah is gaining weight it is still slow, so they decided to add Pediasure to his diet along with the duocal to add even more extra calories. And he had his first chocolate Pediasure. He only drank half, but he liked it very much. You'd think between all the supplements and the way he eats he'd be a chunky monkey, but he finds a way to burn all those calories. He is getting bigger however because I think his old belly band is officially retired as of today. Hopefully the new one will come in a few days. Noah's current occupational therapist also passed the torch today to a new therapist by the name of Susan. So we're switching therapists, days and time. I detect there is more to switching therapists other than Noah needing a new time to attend, but I don't know what it is. My hopes are that information regarding Noah isn't being withheld and there are not concerns that are not being addressed with me. I'm always trying to read into everyone's intentions, it comes with the territory of making sure I'm doing the very best I can by Noah and meeting all of his needs. It's especially hard when I get conflicting opinions about what is in his best interests. The doctor thinks he needs speech therapy, the speech therapist thinks we need just to watch progress, occupational therapy thinks a swallow study would benefit Noah, the doctor doesn't seem to think so at this time. It's like trying to figure out which side of the coin I should toss. Who's right, who's wrong? I'm at the mercy of various professional opinions and have no idea what to think or what directions I need to push for. I hope the therapist switch is a good match for Noah, someone that agrees with him. It sounds like we'll only be doing therapy three times weekly rather than four, I'm not sure how I really feel about a decrease in time. It's so hard to know how to best advocate for Noah. I want nothing but the best I can get for him. I would love nothing more if he had the opportunity to be just a regular baby that got to sleep, eat, crawl around and play without having to schedule therapies regular doctor visits. But we don't have that luxury, the hand that was dealt to us doesn't provide for that. And I'd be lying if I said it wasn't an exhausting process at times.

I just have to continue to pray I know what directions to follow that will most benefit Noah. I often wish there was a little birdie on my shoulder telling me which road to take next. But again there will never be any roadmaps on this journey. And I hate the feeling of flying by the seat of my pants.

Love,
Stacy, Chris & Noah