Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Noah Enjoys the Big Bugs

Bookmark and Share
I took Noah to the Butterfly pavilion for a little outing Monday. Noah loves nature, and clearly is going to love bugs and things that crawl. Thank goodness my my mother introduced me to snakes and my second grade teacher got me fascinated enough with spiders that my mother agreed to let me keep one as a pet in a dairy queen cup in the kitchen window for two years. However with that said, there are still critters that give me the heebie jeebies. They have a new spider that is much bigger than Susie, the pet-able tarantula, it must be nearly my shoe size. It's the type of spider that nightmares are made of. They also have a new exhibit called Tropical Odyssey equipped with as equally freaky bugs in unspeakable sizes (all of which are deceased and pinned to boards). It's more like an active learning center for children. It even had a miniature zip line for children to play on. I watched as other kids zoomed down it thinking that will never be Noah. Let out a sad sigh, and actually wiped away one solid tear before anyone paid me notice. And then I remembered I've already learned the lesson "never say never."

Noah has still decided that sleeping only three weeks through the night was over-rated and we're now back to being up multiple times during the night with a bedtime of no later than 10pm. Chris and I have tried just about everything we can think of to either make an earlier bedtime occur or sleep better through the night, but to no avail. At least we knew that for a short period of time that sleeping through the night was possible. Maybe he's dreaming, maybe it's teething, or maybe it's just another "Noah time" event.

I just completed the third Anat Baniel Method DVD. Each DVD is opening my awareness to new possibilities, new ways of thinking. It has given me a center of gravity that nothing else has done. It has restored what those so very doubtful of Noah's success had taken from me. It has eliminated the negativity and replaced it with amazing possibilities for Noah's future. I am so excited to incorporate this method into our daily lives. Movement with attention I think will benefit Noah's ability to finally make "sense" out of all the "non-sense." His brain makes different connections due to his injury, but the brain is constantly learning, constantly growing and I fully believe for all of us that we can always teach our brain a new way of doing things. Most importantly Anat Baniel speaks about an "echo" - essentially a sign of feedback that means that there's a level of understanding occurring in the brain for change to be possible. In my opinion, Noah has a very strong echo. He socializes, he understands, he's making connections, he just needs help understanding why his body is not moving in ways that are most beneficial for him. I don't really know how long it will take Noah to make these adjustments in his movements, but I feel and believe it will happen. I'd love nothing more than to wake up one morning to a completely recovered Noah, but I will wait patiently for change. Never say never.

Love,
Stacy, Chris & Noah