Friday, November 23, 2012

I Know Different

Bookmark and Share
A poem: I KNOW DIFFERENT by Tricia Proefrock
 ------------------------------------------------------

Dear mommy, I have felt your tears, falling on my face. Someone else might think they are tears of sadness, because of what I can't do...I KNOW DIFFERENT.

I know those tears pour from your heart out of gratitude for me, because of what I CAN do: I can love everyone in the purest form possible. Unconditionally. I can be judged, but will never judge in return. I know different because I feel, in your hugs and kisses, that I'm perfect just the way I am.

I have seen you hang your head down in shame, when we go out on adventures. Someone else might think you are ashamed of having a child like me...I KNOW DIFFERENT.

I know you are ashamed of the grown-ups who ignore me, yet talk happily to all the other children. The grown-ups who won't look you in the eye, but stare at me, when they think you don't see. I know different because I've seen the many, many more times you have raised your head up high, with pride, because I'm yours. 

I have heard you whispering desperate prayers at night. Someone else might think you are asking God to make me a typical kid...I KNOW DIFFERENT.

I know you are thanking Him that I got to be here, with you, for another day... exactly how I am. I know different because I have heard you ask me never to leave you. And I have heard you cheer for me, every single day of my life... you tell me I don't need to be typical to be amazing, I just need to be here.

I know you have a big job, taking care of me. I know your body hurts, because I'm getting so big. I know that more than anything, you want to hear me say your name. And I know you worry that you aren't good enough, and that you will fail me...BUT I KNOW DIFFERENT MOMMY.

I know that even on your worst days, you will always be enough for me, and I will always love you more than you know. ♥

Love,



Noah's Miracle by Stacy Warden is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.