Friday, February 7, 2014

WHEN YOU THOUGHT I WASN'T LOOKING In The Eyes of a Special Needs Sibling

Bookmark and Share


When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you feeding my
brother patiently spoonful after spoonful, and I instantly
I learned the true meaning of unconditional love.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you catch and release
a spider outside, and I learned that every life has value.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you lift
my brother's wheelchair, and I learned that everyone
needs a little help.

When you thought I wasn't looking I heard you say a
prayer, and I knew that there is a God I could always
talk to, and I learned to trust in Him to see me through
the hard times in life.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you correct an
impolite stranger who called my brother a cripple,
and I learned the meaning of acceptance.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you going
to countless therapy sessions for my brother and I
learned the true meaning of hard work.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw how you
handled challenging situations and set backs and I
learned how to persevere.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw tears come
from your eyes, and I learned that sometimes things
hurt, but it's all right to cry.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you modify
things to make it work for my brother when you were
denied help and I learned ways to adapt and overcome.

When you thought I wasn't looking I learned most of
life's lessons that I needed to know by watching you
be a loving, kind, and unselfish person.

When you thought I wasn't looking I looked at you and
wanted to say,'Thanks for all the things I saw when
you thought I wasn't looking.'




Noah's Miracle by Stacy Warden is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.