Thursday, April 29, 2010

Walk a Mile in My Shoes

Bookmark and Share
Noah is continuing to do some really neat things. He's now learned to pull himself up from his highchair when he leans over to the sides. We tell him to pull himself up and he does it each and every time. He still lacks the balance to sit without going to either side, but the fact that he is learning leads me to believe he will one day sit independently even if it takes many more months.

Noah has been a bit unhappy the last few days. He's having a teeth explosion. Somehow I thought his teeth would sprout in a specific order, but they are just coming up all over the place. For the most part I think he's doing well with it. I can tell he's sometimes a bit more fussy than other days, but he's always so cute even in his fussy moments.

Noah also got a very special present yesterday. A tumble mat from his friends at KOKO. We could never thank them enough for helping Noah. He loves it! It will be so nice to put him on a nice soft surface so he doesn't get rug burn on his race from rolling. Although he is doing quite a good job of lifting that head up while on his tummy these days.

All the strollers I have for Noah continue to be a battle. He still doesn't want to be in them. And of course I had to ask for help at Safeway when we went together the other day. Thank goodness my friend's mom, Dorothy was there to save the day. She always is there when I need her. She helped me load groceries, and even helped me push the stroller because I needed more hands. Sometimes I wonder if going it alone sometimes during the day is a good idea because often times I do wind up needing some kind of help, but I enjoy getting out with Noah and sometimes I have that voice in my head that says "you can do this!" And off I go to conquer a task. I see that same determination in Noah. Although I really don't think I can take credit for that. I think he was gifted at birth with this need to persevere.

In the last week I've seen so many unkind things done to others. It truly saddens me that Noah is a part of a world that can be so cruel to others. People will say or do just about anything with total disregard for another. You wonder why weren't they taught kindness? Who forgot to teach them? And sadly you know they will most likely not teach their children either. Noah will have to be exceptionally strong, as I know if people will go after able bodied people with ill intentions, they'll go after him too for all that people think he "isn't." I never want him to ache over the fact that he faces challenges that others don't have, never wanting him to cry over an unkind glance or wicked words. I don't believe that surviving meanness creates character. It breaks spirits, crushes smiles, and damages the heart. Go out of your way to be kind. Randomly tell a stranger they are beautiful, ask to help an elderly woman with her grocery bags, give someone a smile even though they snickered at you. Kindness will find kindness and I'd like to believe that kindness is as contagious as hope is.

This reminds me of a good old song by Joe South called "Walk a Mile in My Shoes" with a link to listen and lyrics to read:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoznjbKVnmw

If I could be you and you could be me for just one hour
If we could find a way to get inside each other's mind
If you could see you through my eyes instead of your ego
I believe you'd be surprised to see that you'd been blind
Walk a mile in my shoes, walk a mile in my shoes
Yeah, before you abuse, criticize and accuse
Walk a mile in my shoes
Well, your whole world you see around you is just a reflection
And the law of common says you're gonna reap just what you sow
So unless you've lived a life of total perfection
Mm-mm, you'd better be careful of every stone that you should throw
Yet we spend the day throwin' stones
at one another'cause I don't think or wear my hair same way you do
Well, I may be common people but I'm your brother
And when you strike out and try to hurt me it's a 'hurtin you,
Walk a mile in my shoes, walk a mile in my shoes
Yeah, before you abuse, criticize and accuse
Walk a mile in my shoes
There are people on reservations and out in the ghettos
And brother, there, but for the grace of God, go you and I
If I only had the wings of little angels don'tcha you know I'd flyTo the top of the mountain and then I'd cry?Walk a mile in my shoes, walk a mile in my shoes
Hey, before you abuse, criticize and accuse
Better walk a mile in my shoesWalk a mile in my shoes, walk a mile in my shoes
Oh, before you abuse, criticize and accuse
Walk a mile in my shoes,Walk a mile in my shoes, walk a mile in my shoes
Hey, before you abuse, criticize and accuse
Walk a mile in my shoes

Love,
Stacy, Chris & Noah